Tuesday, January 23, 2018

DIY Energy Gel - Update

Okay, so I've gone through a couple batches of my homemade chocolate gel now, and tweaked the recipe slightly.  I scaled it up to make around 60oz in one batch - this uses an entire 16oz box of corn starch.  I use my KitchenAid stand mixer to blend it all, and everything fits well into the mixing bowl.  I show the calorie breakdown per ingredient, as well as an approximate cost.  For the "large batch", the cost comes out to around 37-cents per "gel" serving (100 calories).  If you want a lower-calorie version, you could try sweetening it with Stevia, like the original recipe called for.  (http://theplantedrunner.com/tag/cornstarch-endurance-fuel/).

Now you might be wondering what I use to carry this stuff in when I run...  I've got a couple 10oz (300ml) HydraPak "soft flasks":  https://smile.amazon.com/Hydrapak-Ultraflask-Flask-Malibu-300ml/dp/B01N7XLYE9/

I don't use the extension tubes (they're easily removable).  Also I've found that the "bite valve" that comes with the bottle is great for liquid, but not so great for gel.  (Takes a lot of effort to suck the gel through unless you water it down.)  But the other day I got an idea and grabbed a Camelbak bite valve.  It's a tight fit, and takes some "encouragement", but I managed to get it on there.  MUCH BETTER!  I wish I had thought of that sooner...

I found some replacement Camelbak bite valves on Amazon, so I'll be retrofitting my bottles.  And I'll probably carry an extra valve with me, just in case one break because it's stretched too much...  https://smile.amazon.com/CamelBak-Reservoir-Big-Bite-Valves/dp/B00NTXIQ3S/


Mark’s DIY GEL – Chocolate Fudge

Liquid starch-based fuel that is an alternative to gels or chews.  “Small batch” is roughly 16oz and is nutritionally the equivalent of around 10 gels.  “Large batch” is roughly 60oz and equivalent to 40 gels.  The amount of water can be adjusted to make the consistency thicker or thinner.  The large batch takes an entire box of corn starch, and mixes well in a Kitchenaid Stand Mixer.  Caffeine content per ‘gel’ serving is comparable to the ‘extra caffeine’ Gu gels (espresso, etc).  Recipe isn’t vegan due to whey protein, but soy protein could be substituted to make it vegan friendly.  (Some research suggests soy protein is better anyway.)  The large batch comes out to around 36-cents per ‘gel’ serving.

Ingredients: 
Amount
(small batch)
Amount
(large batch)

Ingredient
Calories
(large batch)
Cost
(large batch)
1 ¼ cups
16oz box
Argo corn starch
1680
$7.09
2 scoops
6 scoops
Dymatize Chocolate Fudge Whey Protein
702
$5.49
3 tbsp
½ cup
Hershey’s Special Dark Chocolate cocoa powder
80
$0.20
3/16 tsp
½ tsp
Table Salt
0
$0.01
3/16 tsp
½ tsp
“No Salt”
0
$0.06
4 caps
11 caps
"Motivation" Herbal Caffeine capsule
0
$1.55
¾ cup
2 cups
Granulated Sugar
1546
$0.51
¾ cup
2 ½ cups
Water – can adjust for desired thickness
0
$0.00
TOTALS:
4008
$14.91
Instructions:
·        Mix all dry ingredients except water in a small measuring cup with a spout.
·        Slowly add enough water to your desired thickness.
·        Stir thoroughly and pour into a small running bottle.
·        Shake before drinking.

Notes:
·        Small batch:  1056 calories, 204.4g carbs, 51g protein, 5.5g fat, 640mg sodium, 495mg potassium, 400mg caffeine
·        Large batch:  4008 calories, 831g carbs, 144g protein, 16g fat, 2070mg sodium, 1280mg potassium, 1100mg caffeine
·        Large batch:  611g glucose, 220g fructose (26%)
·        Based on absorbing 60g glucose/hr, entire amount could be consumed in 3 hours (small batch) or 10 hours (large batch).
·        About 25% of the energy comes from protein.  Research I found online seemed to indicate 15-33% was okay.

·        Ideally 33% of the carbs would be fructose.

No comments:

Post a Comment